Monday, October 19, 2009

1,2,3...Jump!


Have you ever been sitting poolside only to hear the sound of a parent trying to coax their little guy into jumping?  I observed this phenomenon several weeks ago and it caught my attention.  The child was perched on the edge of the pool looking out at the giant body of water as he contemplated what was before him.  I wondered what was going through his head.  "Will I be able to swim... how will the water feel... this feels scary...will I be able to do it?"  Watching this dad reminded me of my own experience with one of my daughters who fought her own fear of the water.  "1,2,3...jump!"  It sounds encouraging enough, but how does this phrase help a child take a giant leap of faith into a brand new experience?  Come on, do those three seconds really give enough time to prepare for a jump like this?  I was suddenly curious as to the significance and power of this chant.

 I believe that right now we are the ones on the edge of the pool.  Tomorrow my husband, Ryan leaves for Thailand for 10 days.  Wow.  He leaves with his friend Matt and they go with the intent of looking and listening to their Dad, to see if He is calling our families to move and minister to the people of Chiang Mai.  They will visit an orphanage full of at risk girls who are rescued from a life of prostitution and given a life of love and security.  They will visit with missionaries and attend a conference for national pastors. 
They are jumping in as their Dad encourages them from the pool. 
For me it is definitely a leap of faith as I look out at a very new experience of moving half way around the world.  We would so appreciate your prayers for the guys to hear clearly, and for health and safety while they are away.  Our hearts miss Ryan so much when he is gone, so please keep us in your prayers as well.  The girls and I will be traveling to Nebraska to visit my brother and then to Iowa to visit our dear (and very missed) friends Terry and Michelle Brands.  Jessica's heart is really, really looking forward to seeing her best friend Sydney!!

I am aware that parents don't encourage their children to jump only to abandon them to the possibility of drowning.  They count "1,2,3 jump" because they know their kids need a defined moment and an encouragement to take a leap of faith.  The child knows when to jump and they also know their mom or dad is there to catch them.  Jesus knew my heart needed to watch a loving father encouraging his child to jump.  He knew I needed to be reminded that He is in the pool, He is the One counting and most importantly, He is the One who is going to catch us. 
I'll be sure to keep you posted on the pool and the swimming lessons!

3 comments:

  1. This is one very big swimming lesson. So proud. So privileged to watch.
    Cheering and praying!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be anxious for nothing but by everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God.

    ReplyDelete